Last Wednesday was a normal workday, and I was within 12 miles of home when my cell phone rang around 4:30. It was TM and his first words to me were, "Where are you?"...making my heart go cold. I immediately knew something was wrong. He told me he was not feeling well and thought he needed to go to the emergency room. I told him I'd be there in less than 10 minutes.
TM has a cold and had a hard coughing spell around 3:00, then was dizzy, short of breath, and felt a pressure type pain in his chest. [Yes, he received a lecture about not calling 911 right then!]. Long story short, TM had experienced a light heart attack. At the hospital, he had two stents put in due to 99% blockages. He also has a 50% blockage that did not require a stent. The two blockages were so bad and his arteries so twisted that the cardiac interventionist almost did not get the stents in. That would have meant emergency open-heart surgery for two by-passes. We do feel so very blessed we made it to the hospital and that TM was able to have stents instead of open-heart surgery.
Were there warning signs? Yes, there were. Were they ignored...hmmm, I dearly love my husband, but yes, they were to a certain extent. TM gets regular check ups and his cholesterol level is fine. He has high blood pressure and is overweight [as I am]. We also are too sedentary [things will change in the eating and exercising department!]. Plus, I have noticed TM being short of breath more and more since July. I told him I was concerned about his heart and encouraged him to say so to his doctor in a visit two weeks ago. He did, but based on TM's low cholesterol level, his doctor asked TM why I thought something would be wrong with his heart... Okey dokey, then - doctors know best????!!!! Maybe because I live 24/7 with TM and could tell there was a drastic change in his breathing with the slightest exertion, and he was so tired all the time!!! Oh well, I choose to look at what did happen - not what 'could have'.
We choose to look at the positives of this and move on. As stated, changes in eating habits [mainly portion control] and exercise are in order. Another item we need to look at is our targeted 2015 retirement date. I am six years younger than TM and can not draw from my teacher's pension until after my 60th birthday in 2014. I was going to teach another school year [2014-2015] to have 20 years of teaching in. Why, I don't know anymore. Twenty years was just a self-appointed goal. TM just turned 64 and could retire if he so chooses.
I think it is definitely time to rethink our 2015 targeted collective retirement date. We are still digesting the last few days and focusing on TM's health right now. He is off work next week for some much needed rest and relaxation. Then we'll go from there. I just am not as secure in my thoughts about him working outside in another Illinois winter! He says he wouldn't 'feel right' not working when I still am! Hey, there would be housework, errand running, cooking, laundry, etc. to occupy his time - right??!! LOL - he helps with all that anyway. I am just thankful and blessed I have my husband sitting next to me as I type this!
Remember to scatter kindness!
Glad to hear that your husband is ok. My husband, John had a triple bypass in 2005 at the age of 52. We had no plans for retirement until then and we decided to retire as soon as we could. In 2009, he retired and I retired shortly after. We are now enjoying every minute and have no regrets. Life is too short. Get out there and enjoy! Judy from Rvlifeonwheels
ReplyDeleteWe are on that path to 'get out and enjoy'! Hope to meet you on the road someday.
DeleteI'm not trying to scare you BUT...my father almost died from a massive heart attack 12 years ago. Thank God he made a full recovery but his doctor warned him about being out in really cold weather for prolonged periods of time. Tell TM to ask his doctor about this and see what he thinks. Maybe another Illinois winter isn't the best thing. Why can't he retire a year earlier than you and get everything in order to where you can kiss that school good-bye a year from now and ride off into the sunset with no loose ends to tie? Anyway, I am glad he is okay!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, do you all ride 'Rolling Thunder' in DC over Memorial Day? If you do please let me know ahead of time and we can meet up with you all.
Kathie, "Rolling Thunder" is on our Bucket List. We would love to meet up with you someday!
DeleteI think the good news in all of this is that it is identified now and can and will be watched..... Like a hawk, I am sure... So perhaps that will lengthen things by a large amount.... Anyway we are not guaranteed anything in life as I found out this past couple of years, so sooner rather than put it off is a good rule of thumb...
ReplyDeleteSo true, Rod!
Delete